Wednesday 2 May 2007

THAT'S NEW TO ME 3



When I was having a Blogaround this morning I dropped into Little bits of Georgia, Dot had posted about a plant called Rabbit Tobacco. I'd never heard of this before! It's botanical name is Gnaphalium obtusifolium but it seems to have countless more common names...(Rabbit Tobacco, Sweet Everlasting, Sweet White Balsam, Fragrant Life Everlasting, Fuzzy Gussy, None So Pretty, Cat's Foot and on and on) The flower itself reminds me of an Edelweiss and the plant has many uses; it can be smoked or made into a tea and can be used to treat various conditions such as colds,asthma and coughs. It is also used for diarrhea. Poultices can be applied to sores on the skin and in the mouth and bruises and it has been highly recommended for burns.

4 comments:

CG said...

I like the name Fuzzy Gussy :)

Merle said...

Hi Ruth ~~ Sounds like an interesting
plant. Thanks for your comment and I am glad you liked the computer joke.
Take care, Love, Merle.

Jeanette said...

Hi Ruth very interesting plant ive never heard of it,

A wildlife gardener said...

I'm learning something new everyday, thanks to your blogs, Ruth. I loved the photos on ystrdy's too.

SKY ALBUM -

EVERY SUNRISE AND SUNSET WE SHARED WAS PRECIOUS

A TOUR OF OUR GARDEN 2006

MEET THE FAMILY

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called family. Make your own badge here.
Thanks Akelamula

DENISE'S WISH FOR US ALL

A 1st Birthday Gift to my Blogpals

Thank you from Ruth

FLOWER ALBUM-

Thanks to Akelamula

creative blogger

Thanks Shaz

Thanks Skittles...worn with pride

created by Denise - given with love

AWARDS!

Rockin' Shaz sxhmoozed me From Mags, Gill, Libby,Denise and Meeyauw