Tuesday 27 March 2007

CLOCHE WATCHING

Quite a clear sky first thing yesterday morning and as the sun increased in height the temperature really started to pick up. I decided that it was time to get the cloches out of the garage; this means that a few of the half hardy plants will be able to be brought out of the house and as long as temperatures don't drop too sharply at night, they will be able to stay outside snugly in the garden. This will not only give me more window sill space for the very tender plants but will also save me traipsing back and forth every night bringing all the half hardys back inside!



Mick made these cloches quite a few years ago; they are just four pieces of wood joined to make a rectangle; some pieces of flexible pipe (he found on a skip) bent into half hoops and attached with some nuts and bolt; then covered with fleece using a staple gun. The beauty of them is that the can be folded down and this saves space in the garage when we are not using them.every few years we have to replace the fleece










Then when we get them out for the Spring we just push the hoops up again



I can get all these under one cloche; that's equal to one and a half window sills!














Snug as a bug in a rug.




Speaking of bugs I found two more of these today.... the dreaded Lily Beetle!!!!!!!!!

They don't only ravage Lilies; they also like Fritillaria


like this Snakes Head that is in bud

and Persica that is just starting to bloom. Something else that is starting to bloom is my favourite tulip that we have; I just love the colour of it





Isn't it a beauty!! Right I'm off Lily Beetle hunting again...those pesky things aren't going to get my plants!!!!!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog is an absolute joy to read every single day - you are so inspirational.

I just love the cloches that Mick made - they are brilliant. I could do with a few dozen myself!

Peskie varmits - they are all out to wreck our lovely plants aren't they.

Have you had a ladybird bite you? I have and they have quite a nip

And yes I ache for England - but must make the most of the sunshine days up the lottie - tis going to rain here from Thursday onwards.

talj said...

What a clever little fella Mick is! Lovely photos today Ruth...very inspiring! I hope I manage to grow something!!! :o)

Hopeto catch up more when my visitors have departed!! {{{HUGE HUGS}}} xxx

A wildlife gardener said...

Simple but brilliant idea of Mick's for the cloche...made me reminisce about Geoff Hamilton, as he was always sharing ideas like that. Love your persica...I've got them, but only lush leaves every year...no flowers! I'm obviously doing something wrong. And those tulips...fabulous colour!

mrsnesbitt said...

Thanks for your comments on my new garden blog dear, I need all the help I can get! Today is thick cold fog!
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm! Bloody British Weather! LOL!

p.s. You can remove the BLOODY if you want, but my mum used it, so it is OK! LOL

RUTH said...

MrsN; as "bloody" derives from "By Our Lady" (Virgin Mary) I reckon we can get away with it!

Linda said...

How lovely seeing your blooms out already. Here in Ontario, Canada we are still waiting, but it won't be long now. I've added your blog to my blogroll. It is so enjoyable visiting gardens around the world.

Jeanette said...

Hi Ruth what a great idea to use those cloches that Mick made i need a couple here in winter when the frost arrives,,, Take care hugs to you both

Jen!! said...

Wow, beautiful photos!

Libbys Blog said...

Excellent cloches by the way, well done Mick!!! I could do with a Mick around this house! My hubby is not a DIY er! Hates anything to do with it, but bless him he will help in the garden and if I need something 'knocked up' provided I stand over him and give exact instructions he is prepared to do it for me!! xx

Gledwood said...

Is that red beetle truly feared? I was just gonna say how pretty it looked then you called it DREADED ... Ooer.

Ruth you got TAGGED. You have to look at my blog and answer this A-Z questionnaire. When you have a Moment ...! Thank U!!

Sharon Lynne said...

Beautiful tulip and a beautiful color! The students at the school I work at, planted lot's of tulips. They are all up now! Just the usual bright red...but they are so cheerful!

Petunia's Gardener said...

Tell Mick I really like his cloches! I'd like to do larger ones that cover a veg. bed, but this size would be perfect for some spots too. They also give me some ideas for a larger one. Now if I could find surplus tubing like that, I'd be set.

Petunia's Gardener said...

Tell Mick I really like his cloches! I'd like to do larger ones that cover a veg. bed, but this size would be perfect for some spots too. They also give me some ideas for a larger one. Now if I could find surplus tubing like that, I'd be set.

Bob said...

I like the cloches Ruth, thats one of the best idea's I've seen in ages.

SKY ALBUM -

EVERY SUNRISE AND SUNSET WE SHARED WAS PRECIOUS

A TOUR OF OUR GARDEN 2006

MEET THE FAMILY

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called family. Make your own badge here.
Thanks Akelamula

DENISE'S WISH FOR US ALL

A 1st Birthday Gift to my Blogpals

Thank you from Ruth

FLOWER ALBUM-

Thanks to Akelamula

creative blogger

Thanks Shaz

Thanks Skittles...worn with pride

created by Denise - given with love

AWARDS!

Rockin' Shaz sxhmoozed me From Mags, Gill, Libby,Denise and Meeyauw