Thursday 7 June 2007

LENDING A HELPING (GREEN) HAND

I had a day out yesterday...I went over to Colchester on the bus to see Leanne (eldest daughter). In 2005 she moved into her new house but with 3 children to look after, a job and visiting us so much when Mick was ill she hasn't had much free time to do anything about her garden. It's not a large garden but the fences were in a terrible state and the lawn!!!...well it is just one mass of dandelions, clover and nettles...not much grass. A couple of weeks ago she decided to get "stuck in" and painted all her fencing and started to dig out a flower border. She has to leave enough space for the children to play but really wanted a few flowers to pretty things up. It was a hard task..after clearing the turf from the flower bed area she was left with hard (almost concrete like) soil full of stones....she persisted but ended up with terrible pains in her back. She tried to carry on as normal the best she could both at home and work but finally went to the Doctor....he suspects she may have slipped a disc!!!...no wonder she was/is in so much pain. I thought that today while I was over there I could help by doing some washing or cleaning.....but NO...what is the thing she needs help with?......doing the garden......WOW & BRILLIANT.....no complaints from me there!

She has already planted some begonias and snapdragons that Lynn and I bought her and now has some Busy Lizzies.................


and a (half price) Cordyline in a pot


the soil is still poor and in the Autumn we'll have to dig in some "muck"....but for now with a bit of feeding she should get a good summer show..............She also intends to get a compost bin........and needed this compost heap area clearedthere's still a lot of work to do but at least now she's been able to put up the bird table that Mick made her a few years agoScarlet her cat seemed quite happy to watch us......she's a big, lovable creature....I wonder how she'll take to the new kitten when it arrives in a few weeks time.....On the way to pick Mel up from school (the first time I've done this since she moved schools)...we saw some lovely birds...unfortunately the photo is awful!..I couldn't get close enough.....
and when we got back.... just in case I hadn't notice!....Mel showed me their new paddling pool...
after the obligatory "Mum there's something in my sock" episode it was time for me to leave.....

I had a really enjoyable day....no cooking, washing cleaning, ironing (all the things I'd been expecting Leanne would want done).....just GARDENING!!!!

10 comments:

Auntie Noo said...

How lovely to spend a day gardening! It looks like it's coming along beautifully. Hope it doesn't turn out to be a slipped disc, but oh my the pain must be unbearable.

talj said...

It's looking really lovely out there! So glad you got to spend some time with Leanne and out in the garden too! {{HUGS}}xx

CG said...

I'm glad you had a nice visit doing what you love best!! Hope Leanne's back recovers soon.

Akelamalu said...

Ah it's great when you get to do what you love most! Glad you had a lovely day.

Shaz said...

I sence someone may be visiting that garden an awful lot over the next few months . . . lol. That's one huge fabulous kitty there too. Ruth, have you checked out the wiggly wigglers link on my Dr Greenfingers post? Heaps of Christmas ideas for the little ones for the garden (get them interested young . . lol). Not sure how anyone could miss a paddling pool that size though! Love Us x x

Jeanette said...

Hi Ruth, Oh I hope your Daughter hasn't got a slipped disc ouch its very painfull. I did mine 20year ago gardening.and pleased you had a lovely visit with Leanne doing what you like best Gardening, Take care sending hugs your way

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

What a wonderful day you had, doing the thing you love most and helping your daughter at the same time. :-)

Mark said...

Hi Ruth, are you sure the cat hasn't eat the kitten...Lol

Anonymous said...

What a great day out - and poor Leanne's back. I am sure that it really boosted her spirits to have you there and help in the garden - it will look lovely in summer

Whyite said...

Looks like you got to do what we all love to do! Garden and I bet she was glad you came to help out there. Hope your Daughter recovers soon.

SKY ALBUM -

EVERY SUNRISE AND SUNSET WE SHARED WAS PRECIOUS

A TOUR OF OUR GARDEN 2006

MEET THE FAMILY

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called family. Make your own badge here.
Thanks Akelamula

DENISE'S WISH FOR US ALL

A 1st Birthday Gift to my Blogpals

Thank you from Ruth

FLOWER ALBUM-

Thanks to Akelamula

creative blogger

Thanks Shaz

Thanks Skittles...worn with pride

created by Denise - given with love

AWARDS!

Rockin' Shaz sxhmoozed me From Mags, Gill, Libby,Denise and Meeyauw