Wednesday 20 June 2007

MORE STORMS!

What a storm we had last night; torrential rain, thunder and lightning it must have been overhead for a good hour. It was so bad that my friend from across the road text me to see if I was OK on my own during it. Luckily storms don't bother me; my first thoughts are always...well at least I won't have to water the garden.....then they turn to......oh no everything going to get flattened again.....and finally.....I bet the slugs and snails are having a field day!
This morning I went out into the garden prepared to see what damage had occurred. Luckily nothing major had occurred...well except for the chomped lettuces!
I was pleased to see that some of the the Lilies are starting to flower.......



and so is the "Fascination" Dahlia..........
even the Habranthus robustus are starting to put on a show...I love the delicate pink of these....
the Thyme has burst into flower....this morning the skies are clear and we seem to be in for a beautiful day so I shall enjoy having a potter about and watching the Bees on this...they LOVE it....
I don't usually cut flowers for indoors...I prefer to see them in the garden...but the Sweet Peas are a MUST for cutting.....for one thing it keeps the blooms coming...once you let them go to seed they think they've done their job and stop flowering..................BTW if you have problems with pollen beetle on cut flowers there's a handy tip on my RUTH'S SHOOTS blog


Due to the fact I was so tired last night.....a bath and bed with a good book was the order of the evening......I didn't catch up with all my Blogpals new posts so as I'd woken quite early I thought I'd catch up. Typically my PC has decided to have one of its "shut off every five minutes" days (goodness knows why this happens)...so my Blogaround time has been mostly spent waiting for the computer to reload again! It's so infuriating...I can be halfway through a comment or just waiting to publish it and "POOF!" the computer shuts down. So if you've seen me "lurking" but not commenting now you know why!

10 comments:

Shaz said...

Those blooms are amazing & pleased to see they have withstood the rain. You lurk when ever you like x x x

Libbys Blog said...

You can't beat a vase of sweetpeas, I don't think I've planted enough this year!!!

Akelamalu said...

We had the torrential rain and lightning last night too.
My lillies have just started to open and I noticed the first Clematis flower this morning.
Lovely photographs Ruth, I love sweet peas - why didn't we plant any this year? DOH!!!

Gledwood said...

I hope your plants didn't get squashed during some of those downpours ... you may as well have got a stick and kept poking the ground, that is what the rain was doing, prodding baby seedlings and half killing them here

Sheila said...

We had a storm like that too yesterday afternoon. We needed the rain badly and the garden looks better for it today. Sadly lots of damage was done along the storm's path, more trees came down.
The sweet peas are lovely, they were my mum's favourite.

CG said...

Gorgeous flowers and those sweet peas are a wonderful colour!

Nicole said...

I am sure that weather is making its way up here next. We had sunshine the last two days but it's looking bleek for the weekend.

Anonymous said...

Your flowers are just lovely and the photography is stunning.Thanks for sharing your lovely flowers.
Sara from farmingfriends

Audrey said...

The flowers are lovely Ruth, such beautiful colours. Sweet peas are my all time favourite,Ive never grown them but used to buy bunches and put them in an old teapot I had. Love the garden after a downpour of rain it always looks so fresh.

Hope the computer stops playing up, it is so frustrating

Jeanette said...

Hi Ruth all your flowers are lovely and dont looked harmed by the heavy rain Love the yellow lillies and the colours of the sweet peas.. (((HUGS)))

SKY ALBUM -

EVERY SUNRISE AND SUNSET WE SHARED WAS PRECIOUS

A TOUR OF OUR GARDEN 2006

MEET THE FAMILY

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called family. Make your own badge here.
Thanks Akelamula

DENISE'S WISH FOR US ALL

A 1st Birthday Gift to my Blogpals

Thank you from Ruth

FLOWER ALBUM-

Thanks to Akelamula

creative blogger

Thanks Shaz

Thanks Skittles...worn with pride

created by Denise - given with love

AWARDS!

Rockin' Shaz sxhmoozed me From Mags, Gill, Libby,Denise and Meeyauw