Saturday 9 June 2007

THAT'S NEW TO ME #4

With so many fabulous gardening blogs on the Internet by gardeners from all over the world, it's no surprise that every so often something crops up that I've never heard of before. This week I learnt about Broomrape (Orobanche hederae) thanks to Fleisstalleben. Being rather a monoglot myself it's wonderful as it is written in English as well as German.....
Some info:
These plants generally flower from late winter to late spring. When they are not flowering, no part of these plants is visible above the surface of the soil.
As they have no chlorophyll, they are totally dependent on other plants for nutrients. Broomrape seeds remain dormant in the soil, often for many years, until stimulated to germinate by certain compounds produced by living plant roots. Broomrape seedlings put out a root-like growth, which attaches to the roots of nearby hosts. Once attached to a host, the broomrape robs its host of water and nutrients. ~Wikipedia~

Fleisstalleben has a photo of one in her garden (her Wednesday post); why don't you pop over and have a look.

I'm out today to go and have a look at Nicole's handiwork. She really enjoyed her day building the ramp; she was the only girl! and was really pleased when 2 of the boys said she had worked harder than one of the other boys. She mixed concrete, sawed wood and drilled holes so learnt a few DIY hints as well...... She loved all the comments that were left on my post. I'll be taking my camera so you'll be able to see the finished article later. But for now, as it's only 6am, I'm going to grab a coffee, go and sit in the garden and watch this poppy bloom............

6 comments:

kate said...

I love this picture - it is beautiful. It sounds as if Nicole did a great job and should be very proud of herself!!

Akelamalu said...

Has it bloomed yet? Hope it's sunny there, it is here. Have a lovely day and a great weekend.

Merle said...

Hi Ruth ~~ The Broomrape sounds a nasty piece of goods and I have never heard of it before either. Thank you for your comments and the Happy Birthday for John. Glad you enjoy the jokes and quotes I post. I am keeping
very well thank you Ruth and I hope you are also. Take care, Love, Merle.

Jeanette said...

Hi Ruth, I haver never heard of that Broomrape and I dont think I would like it in my garden,did u take a photo when the poppy bloomed.
Tanks for your comments on my health, Im feeling a lot better now all my results comming in,! more to go see Oncoligist for check up on thursday but after all other tests been good I thinking good results also.

Gledwood said...

wonderful pictures!

Anonymous said...

I bet your poppy is out in this sunshine today

SKY ALBUM -

EVERY SUNRISE AND SUNSET WE SHARED WAS PRECIOUS

A TOUR OF OUR GARDEN 2006

MEET THE FAMILY

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called family. Make your own badge here.
Thanks Akelamula

DENISE'S WISH FOR US ALL

A 1st Birthday Gift to my Blogpals

Thank you from Ruth

FLOWER ALBUM-

Thanks to Akelamula

creative blogger

Thanks Shaz

Thanks Skittles...worn with pride

created by Denise - given with love

AWARDS!

Rockin' Shaz sxhmoozed me From Mags, Gill, Libby,Denise and Meeyauw