Friday 15 June 2007

MY FAVOURITE RECIPE - A BLOGALONG POST



Although I make quite a few cakes I often don't actually eat many myself; this one I can't resist though, so I decided to make this my Blog-A-Long entry for June. The photo is of one I made myself last week.

300g fresh strawberries (halved or sliced)

140g amaretti biscuits, roughly broken

140g self-raising flour

85g ground almonds

3 eggs

175g caster sugar

175g soft butter

Clotted cream or creme fraiche

Preheat oven to fan140C/conventional160C/gas3.

Butter and line the base of a loose bottomed 20cm round cake tin.

Beat butter, sugar, eggs, flour and ground almonds together with a hand whisk or wooden spoon until well blended.

Spread half the mixture into the lined tin. Scatter over half the amaretti biscuits and a third of the strawberries. Very lightly press into the cake mixture.

Put spoonfuls of the remaining cake mixture on top, then top with the remaining amaretti biscuits and half the remaining fruit.

Bake for 1 hour 30 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.

Leave to cool for 15 minutes then run a knife around the edge of the cake to loosen it, then turn it out.

Serve with the remaining strawberries and a hefty spoonful of clotted cream or creme fraiche.


I've found this recipe works well with all soft fruits. It has also frozen successfully. It will store in the fridge for a couple of days but is best served at room temperature.

Bloggers' Paradise <>

16 comments:

Merle said...

Hi Ruth ~~Looks like a very yummy
cake, thanks for sharing the recipe.
I have a small creme fruche (lemon meringue) for dessert most days. Love it. Thanks for your comments about the Moonlight Ride. It was quite a good story and may help reach some of the young folks who think they are 10 feet tall and bullet-proof.
Take care, Ruth, Love, Merle.

Shaz said...

That looks delish & I love your measure of "A hefy spoonful od clotted cream" m m m m mmmmmmm

Auntie Noo said...

oooh that looks yummy I will have an abundance of plums later in the year.. wonder if I could use them - maybe if I stew them a little first to soften?.... (haven't decided what to do for mine yet)

Jeanette said...

Hi Ruth, ohh im going to have to try this recipe sounds so yummy , ive just finished dinner with a turkish delight chocolate coated ice cream,,,,

Digital Flower Pictures said...

So this is where you hang out! I loved your blog and while the cake looks good I am trying to lose weight so I will just look at the pictures.

Akelamalu said...

I don't each much cake but that looks delicious. However I must lose weight!

Anonymous said...

That sounds absolutely delicious - will definitely try that one! Thanks for posting it :-)

Cindy G said...

Oh my, Ruth, that looks absolutely wonderful! Now if only I had a source for clotted cream this side of the Atlantic.

CG said...

OOH I can't wait to try this!!!

Mark said...

You haven't put any frogs in their as well, have you as you seem to have a few spare...

Peaceful/Paisible said...

it does just look so nice...I could smell the cake from Plumpiemousie...oh please, keep me a little slice...
love from Mousie

DILLY said...

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO YUM!

¬"

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

I think I've put on a pound by just reading this delicious recipe of yours. Must try it some time. :-)

Nicole said...

That looks good! I may try it with raspberries and perhaps plums.

Joy said...

Oh that DOES look nice! I haven't made a cake for such a long time.

CG said...

looks totally yummy

SKY ALBUM -

EVERY SUNRISE AND SUNSET WE SHARED WAS PRECIOUS

A TOUR OF OUR GARDEN 2006

MEET THE FAMILY

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called family. Make your own badge here.
Thanks Akelamula

DENISE'S WISH FOR US ALL

A 1st Birthday Gift to my Blogpals

Thank you from Ruth

FLOWER ALBUM-

Thanks to Akelamula

creative blogger

Thanks Shaz

Thanks Skittles...worn with pride

created by Denise - given with love

AWARDS!

Rockin' Shaz sxhmoozed me From Mags, Gill, Libby,Denise and Meeyauw