Wednesday 19 September 2007

ABC WEDNESDAY

I IS FOR ITCH



An itch is an uncomfortable sensation caused by irritation of particular nerve endings in the skin and is the body's defence system that makes us aware of any annoying things that touch the body like a fly or an insect. Nerve fibres have special endings that are tiny organs able to receive messages; some receive pressure sensations, some receive temperature, and some receive pain. Stimulation of pain nerves in the skin tells our brain that something is crawling on us and our brain instructs our hand to brush the offender off.


The average body is covered in about 20 square feet of skin so there's plenty exposed to irritation! Sometimes we come into contact with something that is dangerous to us, such as insect bites or poisionous plants resulting in the production of Histamine and we need to itch it to relieve the sensation.


Isn't it strange we affectively SCRATCH to effectively stop an ITCH!!!!!!



And why do I feel ITCHY just writing about ITCHING???

abc wednesday



P.S. Again many thanks for the support and offers of books. I'll let you know if I get stuck...so far I think I'm ok. I had a lovely surprise in the mail...a parcel from Talj containing a book about Geoff Hamilton (my gardening hero) and a DVD of The Colour Purple (one of the books we are studying)
......THANKS TALJ {{HUGS}}...hope you'll be back in Blogworld soon.

Claire asked if I'd be posting my homework...ermmmmm...not unless I get a gold star!!!!

Last night's sunset

18 comments:

Andrea said...

Itch is a good "I" word for ABC Wednesday.

B.T.Bear (esq.) said...

I get a itchy bottom sumtimes, fer wich I find the corner ov the Coffee Taybol to be hiely effectiv.

;@}

dot said...

Ruth, that is a cute picture and goes perfectly with your "I" word.

Mike said...

Talking about itching does make you itch. I'm itching now.

bidarlah said...

haha! clever...
everyone get an itch...

B.T.Bear (esq.) said...

AHOY there, me gardnin luvvie! It be Talk Like A Pirate Day! An I be a travlin rownd to check hoo be a talkin proper pirate, an hoo be needin to walk the plank! AAGH!

Silly Goose said...

Love your sky photos. I have an itch to start a collection of Canadian sunsets. ;-)

Annie said...

Ooh, clever Ruth. A college student you are, and a smart one too, to think of using Itch as your I-word today. There was a story on the radio a couple of days ago about itching and I learned that folks with kidney disease often have chronic itching. I hadn't known that.

kml said...

Great I! I love seeing the different ideas on ABC Wed, and I just love yours!

Pete M said...

A great candid shot of an itch, the animal in question does not seemed phased, hope it felt better afterwards

Peaceful/Paisible said...

horrible this post ruth, feel like scratching myself everywhere now (LOL)
the little calf is so cute !!!

Neva said...

What a perfectly cute picture!! and I really admire that you haven't ripped up your homework yet in a fit --of what I would be having---frustration! Good luck!

KaiBlue said...

I'm diggin' that pickie, *I* wish I was that talented..lol..

PEace n fun, Kai

Hin Man said...

What a great word to find for the 'I' post. Thank you!!!

Max-e said...

Very creative post Ruth. I have a theory about itches, which I will blog about one day.

Gledwood said...

Talking about itches; I am coming to suspect my Baby Itchy is a dwarf dwarf hamster. He/she has not grown at ALL in the past month

Akelamalu said...

I'm itchy too now! :)

Anonymous said...

What a great "I" photo... very creative I must say. :-)

SKY ALBUM -

EVERY SUNRISE AND SUNSET WE SHARED WAS PRECIOUS

A TOUR OF OUR GARDEN 2006

MEET THE FAMILY

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called family. Make your own badge here.
Thanks Akelamula

DENISE'S WISH FOR US ALL

A 1st Birthday Gift to my Blogpals

Thank you from Ruth

FLOWER ALBUM-

Thanks to Akelamula

creative blogger

Thanks Shaz

Thanks Skittles...worn with pride

created by Denise - given with love

AWARDS!

Rockin' Shaz sxhmoozed me From Mags, Gill, Libby,Denise and Meeyauw