Wednesday 25 July 2007

abc photograph Wednesday

I know I'm being greedy doing 2 different types of Photo posts on the same day (scroll down for Wordless Wednesday) but Mrs Nesbitt has come up with the idea of doing an A to Z photopost every Wednesday. It's so nice to join in something that one of my blogpals has started herself and I've decided to set myself the challenge of NO FLOWER OR INSECT PHOTOS!!! and the photo must be taken of something inside the house.........guess that rules out zucchini for Z.................. If you'd like to join in with MrsN's "abc photograph Wednesday" just click on the logo at the top of this post and let her know in her comment box.

A IS FOR ANTIQUE


This is one of my many pieces of brass and one of my most treasured; it's a double inkwell desk set. 5 or 6 years ago I saw it in an antique shop and fell in love with it. It was so expensive and for weeks I walked past the shop and gazed longingly at it. The week of my birthday I walked past and the price had been reduced down to a mere £5 as the shop was closing down. With birthday money burning a hole in my pocket I just knew I was meant to have it. It is the only piece of brass I've ever bought from a shop; all my other pieces have been from Boot Sales.

12 comments:

Akelamalu said...

Things mean so much more when you have to wait for them don't they?

Shaz said...

I love buying old things & wondering what their history is, thanks for sharing x x x

A wildlife gardener said...

Lovely, Ruth...is it a door knocker?

RUTH said...

It's a double inkwell desk set; sorry should have mentioned what it was...will put it in my post now
Rx

Jeanette said...

I wonder how old your inkwells are Ruth, looks a very interesting piece.
BTW the cake was lovely

dot said...

Ruth, it's a beautiful piece and I like the story of how you bought it.

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

What a lovely story and how nice that it was greatly reduced in price. Why is it that all the nice things are usually so expensive? ;-)

Ali said...

Ruth, what a lovely story about how you came to own the inkwell, and your second photograph is just brilliant.

B.T.Bear (esq.) said...

It's very interesting. can you use it as a pen holder, or do you have it as an ornamemt?

Ruth, how did you get a dragonfly on your cursor? I think Dilly would like one.

:@}

RUTH said...

B.T.Bear; I just use it as an ornament though I often have some little goodie hidden in the ink wells. The site I used was http://www.myspacecursor.net
they have lots of different designs even carebears I think!

Audrey said...

What a lovely find and great story, it was meant to be xx Auds

david mcmahon said...

G'day (again) from Australia,

Left a comment on one of your other blogs this week. Enjoying this one too.

I am an avid gardener too, as you'll see from the posts and pics on my site.

Mind you, there isn't much growing here at the moment, as we're in mid-winter and the ice and frost (and snow) have been amazing.

Am just pruning my roses ...

Cheers

David

SKY ALBUM -

EVERY SUNRISE AND SUNSET WE SHARED WAS PRECIOUS

A TOUR OF OUR GARDEN 2006

MEET THE FAMILY

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called family. Make your own badge here.
Thanks Akelamula

DENISE'S WISH FOR US ALL

A 1st Birthday Gift to my Blogpals

Thank you from Ruth

FLOWER ALBUM-

Thanks to Akelamula

creative blogger

Thanks Shaz

Thanks Skittles...worn with pride

created by Denise - given with love

AWARDS!

Rockin' Shaz sxhmoozed me From Mags, Gill, Libby,Denise and Meeyauw