Monday 23 July 2007

GARDEN CATCH UP

Yet again serious flooding has threatened not only properties but lives as well. Parts of Gloucestshire and Oxfordshire are seriously affected at the moment. Many people have no drinking water some are being told to boil their water. Much of Southern England is under a severe weather warning ........I have been lucky (so far) in my small part of East Anglia and the weather has just been something to have a good moan about......my heart goes out to all those whose lives have been devastated.
**************************************************************
Another week's passed since my last "catch up" post and still no sign of a bud on the Cannas and Brugmansias....the mixed up seasons this year are doing strange things to the garden. These Cyclamen don't usually flower until the Autumn...........and there's already autumnal colour starting on some of the Sorbus leaves...............
at least the Hibiscus is flowering bang on schedule....it always starts when the children break up for the summer holidays. When I think of how much I chop it back each year to keep it to a manageable size it's a wonder it doesn't sulk. At least my Japanese Painted ferns haven't minded the low light levels this year...the are right against our Northfacing wall and are twice the size they were last year......
I love the colouring on the leaves.....................
I'm really pleased I took cuttings of the double busy lizzys last year; I cursed trying to overwinter them in the back bedroom but it was all worth it. This is one of my favourite....

The Coleus cuttings have bulked out too...when I think how weedy they looked after the winter....I use them to fill in gaps when early flowers have gone over......this one plant has filled this space in a trough in no time..............

Another cutting doing really well is this Pelargonium...........I had problems with white fly on it during the winter but it seems fine now. I'd love to take more cuttings each year but space is limited......the garden itself is 24 feet by 20 feet (7 and a bit metres X 6 and a bit metres) and as practically every part of it is planted up (except for the path way and and one small bench area) there's just no room for a proper greenhouse.


The basket I planted up of "left overs" to cover the bare area where nothing would grow......is filling out really well.................
and I think I'd better start picking these runner beans.....the dwarf ones are new to me so looking forward to seeing what they taste like......
This lily has started bloming now...it's the same markings as the Turks Cap but faces upwards....being one of the Asiatics it doesn't have a scent........
I'm pleased this Hydrangea is doing well; it's a cutting taken a couple of years ago...purely by accident...I was making up a floral arrangement with some Hydrangea flowers in Oasis and the stems rooted!Libby sent me some Rincinus seed which unfortunately I never managed to get them to germinate. I was lucky a few months ago to find 4 seedlings for sale at a local nursery....they are growing quite well now and I think this may be a flower bud starting.......I've already posted photos of the red Lucifer crocosmia (monbretia) flowering but now the orange one has started to bloom....just the yellow to wait for now....I think the Whisky Mac Rose by the front door is trying to block the doorway....maybe it's aiming to stop the postman dropping off the bills.......LOLBet you thought "Oh no insects today!"....well I'll just slip in one butterfly photo before I go.........

Dependant on what today's weather brings we are hoping to have a "Family Walkabout". Looking pretty dismal at the moment but the day is still young...off to do my "sun dance" now.


the sundance nan


Sorry I'm not getting to all of your blogs at the moment; I'll catch up as soon as I can.

17 comments:

Andi said...

I have never met anyone who did a sun dance before...just rain dances. :-)

I like that you photograph insects & think I should start trying to.

Anonymous said...

My goodness it never fails to amaze me the amount of colour and variety of plants you have in your garden - you are a wonderful photographer.

And no need to apologise if you don't get time to visit mine or anyone else blog - because it would make me so much happier to know that you are out doing something else in stead.

Enjoy your day. xxxx

Anonymous said...

I love the busy lizzies - what great colour they have. A great garden catchup. Thanks for sharing.
Sara from farmingfriends

Shaz said...

I'm dancing along with you Ruth! Andy is optomistic & has put the shade sail up again!

Excellent garden up date x x x

dot said...

What a lot of pretty flowers you have!

B.T.Bear (esq.) said...

Hullo Ruth!
What is your daughter's blog address? -I've lost it!

Also, if you get a mo', have a look at my blog today re different ways to mow the lawn.

Mummy's blown up the lawn mower again!

:@o

Akelamalu said...

Like you Ruth we haven't been hit too hard by the rain. Well I've been out of it altogether for two weeks as you know. I just feel for all those who have been flooded out!
Love all your pictures honey, you must be so proud of your garden. Good luck with the SUN DANCE - let's hope it works! :0

Jean said...

Great variety of flowers. They are all beautiful and your photos are super. Thanks for the tour!

Libbys Blog said...

As always your garden is beautiful. Full of colour. My cannas are only producing leavs, no sign of buds at all. I have just repotted the really big brugmansia, which is still flowering its little head off!! Don't apologise for not visiting, just pop over when you can!!!

Dirty Fingernails said...

Love it! I love your hot pink hydrangeas.. Just shows you how different our soils are.. Yours alkaline and mine acidic.. Hope ther flooding disappears soon.

Chrissie said...

What a lovely post, Ruth. Your garden has so much colour. Do your coleus go through the winter then? I have never grown them but have often admired their leaves. Our montbretia has all fallen over and looks a bit sad. Here's hoping the weather improves very soon!

Katya said...

Ruth, oh how beautiful!!! Even if it rained every day, you have so much COLOR, you could NEVER have a *down* day!!!! And, I thank you for sharing so freely!!!!

My heart goes out to the folks who are experiencing terrible flooding. Flooding is something that cannot be appreciated unless one lives through it, as it basically destroys not only by its action of moving water, but it also leaves behind damage in the form of mildew and molds that are destructive in themselves and treacherous for human beings and animals alike. We had an area get hit badly about 2 1/2 hours from our home last year. Many people are still in various stages of recovery.

I hope your family was able to enjoy some time together!

Katya said...

Oh dear, in trying to *condense* what I wanted to say, I forgot to comment that I cannot IMAGINE how you are able to keep plants over the winter! I have dreamed of doing this, as I would love to keep my favorite plants going, but alas, I am not able to do so.....

Annie said...

Ruth I was wondering if the flooding had impacted you and your home and I am so relieved to here that it hasn't. It's a mess over there as well as over here in Texas with all the flooding.

RUTH said...

Re; overwintering....I find the smaller the plant the easier it is for me to overwinter on windowsills. Fuchsias, geranium, busy lizzies, osteospernum, coleus etc I always take cuttings of in late summer and overwinter the rooted cuttings....the parnt plants I leave in the grounf...just in case they make it through :o) In the Autumn I'll do a post about my overwintering methods.
Thanks for all your kind comments.
Rx

Mark said...

Hi Ruth,
Thats quite a vigerous sun dance you are doing there...Lol

Cheers Mark

Audrey said...

Oh great a dance..Im joining you Ruth...lol

Your garden is amazing a real credit to yours and Micks hard work over the years, its beautiful.

Its heartbreaking watching some of the footage about the flooding in some parts of the country.so much lost and ruined :(

SKY ALBUM -

EVERY SUNRISE AND SUNSET WE SHARED WAS PRECIOUS

A TOUR OF OUR GARDEN 2006

MEET THE FAMILY

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called family. Make your own badge here.
Thanks Akelamula

DENISE'S WISH FOR US ALL

A 1st Birthday Gift to my Blogpals

Thank you from Ruth

FLOWER ALBUM-

Thanks to Akelamula

creative blogger

Thanks Shaz

Thanks Skittles...worn with pride

created by Denise - given with love

AWARDS!

Rockin' Shaz sxhmoozed me From Mags, Gill, Libby,Denise and Meeyauw