Sunday 1 July 2007

GREEN THUMB SUNDAY

Today is not only Canada Day it is also the day on which Smoking becomes outlawed in England in all enclosed places...because of both these events I was torn between posting a photo of Nicotiana or a Maple Leaf...I couldn't decide so opted to post a photo of my all time favourite Clematis; it started flowering on Monday and I know I've weeks of fabulous blooms to look ahead to.



Clematis florida 'Sieboldii'


Also known as c. ‘Sieboldiana’, this plant was introduced by Dr Philipp von Siebold to the Leiden Botanical Garden in Holland and then to the British Isles in 1835. The flower is reminiscent of that of the Passion Flower. Sadly we lost our Passion Flower a few years ago and we never replaced it and to be honest I probably now don't have the room as other plants have filled it's space. There is some fascinating folklore about the Passion Flower..................according to Brewer's Phrase and Fable, "the leaf symbolizes the spear; the five anthers, the five wounds; the tendrils, the cords or whips; the column of the ovary, the pillar of the cross; the stamens, the hammers; the three styles, the three nails; the fleshy threads within the flowers, the crown of thorns; the calyx, the glory or nimbus; the white tint, purity; and the blue tint, heaven." The blooms supposedly stay open three days also, and so could indicate either the time between the crucifixion and resurrection or the three years of Christ's ministry.


Some say that the petals represent the apostles; as there are only 10 petals you have to discount the two who supposedly weren't present at Calvary (Judas and Peter). So, in the Language of Flowers, the plant came to stand for "religious superstition."

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your photos are stunning - what a pretty clematis. My sister has a passion flower just like yours and it's lovely.
Sara from farmingfriends

Unknown said...

Lovely flowers!

CG said...

Gorgeous clematis! I must plant one although I hear they are tricky to get going!

Laurie and Chris said...

Beautiful Clematis!

Jessica said...

Oh how I wish my clematis would just grow already...

Beautiful pictures.

Anonymous said...

The clematis is beautiful. I planted one this spring and it's making its way along the trellis, but I don't think it will bloom this year. It just seems nowhere near substantial enough to flower. But it would be a delightful surprise if it did!

Jean said...

What a lovely clematis! I've never seen one quite like it. Beautiful! That was quite a walk you had! That should last a good long time!

Mark said...

Hi Ruth, I remember when that clematis came out , it caused quite a stir, Love the story behind the passion flower, you wouldn't have thought you could get so much from a plant..

MrBrownThumb said...

That clematis is stunning! I've never seen one like it before. Thanks for posting it.

Muum said...

thanks for swinging by my blog, I'll have to come back and visit again.

BenSpark said...

Thanks for dropping over to my blog and leaving the link to this post. Very interesting.

SKY ALBUM -

EVERY SUNRISE AND SUNSET WE SHARED WAS PRECIOUS

A TOUR OF OUR GARDEN 2006

MEET THE FAMILY

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called family. Make your own badge here.
Thanks Akelamula

DENISE'S WISH FOR US ALL

A 1st Birthday Gift to my Blogpals

Thank you from Ruth

FLOWER ALBUM-

Thanks to Akelamula

creative blogger

Thanks Shaz

Thanks Skittles...worn with pride

created by Denise - given with love

AWARDS!

Rockin' Shaz sxhmoozed me From Mags, Gill, Libby,Denise and Meeyauw