Tuesday 17 July 2007

IN AT THE DEEP END

I think the seasons have got mixed up in our garden. The Cannas and Brugmansias aren't showing a hint of a bud, yet the Pieris are already making their buds for next year!!!

The warmer weather seems to have brought the dreaded Lily Beetle out of hiding again as on these.....................I found this.............
I've allowed him his moment of blog-glory but I can assure you that measures have been taken to ensure he won't be back again!!!!


Something I was pleased to see was this Brimstone Butterfly.....................not the greatest photo but the first one I've managed to take of this particular beauty this year.........I'm sure I'll be seeing a few more bees as the Agastache is starting to flower......this is one of the self seedlings I found in the gravel ages ago and replanted................
you have to get up pretty early in the morning to get a photo "sans bee"............This penstemon has started to flower...its one I've grown from the seed of my blue Penstemon and seems quite a strong plant.....................
Now I bet my neighbours thought I'd rented an allotment when they saw me walking down the road with these yesterday afternoon.......................In fact I was on my way to the school; the Memorial Garden, (in memory of a much loved teacher who died last year) which is a job in progress, needed to be dug over before the slabs can be laid.........................so volunteers had been asked for......as you can see they came in their droves......NOT!!!!
Despite the rain we've had the ground was like concrete and the few of us who did turn up dug solidly for 2 hours.....................I think I won't be the only one with an aching back and blisters today..........
the bonus was that we all jumped in the school pool to cool off afterwards..................
I think the last time I went for a swim was in 2004 when Mick and I went for a day out to Southwold....................(sweet memories)....................
As you can see from the photo below of Manda's dripping trousers....we actually jumped in fully clothed!!!!!!...........................


except Nicole who had her costume with her as she'd had swimming at school...............
the water was lovely and warm but the walk home in our dripping clothes was quite chilly......it was FUN though!!!!! I was glad there was some of the Apricot Almond cake left that I'd made in the morning as all the digging and swimming had given me a heck of an appetite.............

If you want the recipe just click on the photo above...........................
I know some of you keep chickens; well I heard on the news that at The Pensthorpe Nature Reserve, near Fakenham a bantam hen has incubated and hatched a Sandhill Crane...

bantam foster mum

isn't that a lovely fostering story...............the chick's now bigger than it's foster mum!

Those of you who have followed my/our lives on There Are A Million Stories will know that I've another appointment with the Citizen's Advice Bureau today in my attempt to resolve some of the financial problems I've had since Mick's passing. Finger crossed that all goes well......

13 comments:

Chrissie said...

Wow, Ruth, you were up early this morning :-) Great photos, early bird. (Or were you up late last night :-}) Good luck for today!

RUTH said...

Up early Chris; always been more of an early bird than a night owl...especially in the Summer :o)

Shaz said...

Fingers & toes crossed for you. That is a fab picture of "mother & child".

I bet you can't wait to get that garden up & looking beautiful just like your own x x x

dot said...

Beautiful, beautiful! Thank you for sharing!
Good luck with your financial situation today.

Dirty Fingernails said...

What a sweet story about the foster mom and kid.. And for swimming you are braver than I.

Annie said...

Your volunteering day sounds like a day to remember - friends, fun and cake too. If more people from your area read your post today, they'll come volunteer next time there's a call out.

Good luck with the Citizens Advice Board.

Anonymous said...

These pictures are amazing and I've had more beatles flying into my house then I care to see, the pool photo looks inviting.. delicious almost..

Thx..

Anonymous said...

Love that story about the bantam hen raising the baby crane. We had a TINY bantam hen once that decided she was the mother to three just-hatched guineas, and she raised them to maturity. It sure did look funny to see them when they were half-grown trying to get under this tiny bantam hen!

Shirley
Choosing Voluntary Simplicity

Anonymous said...

Hi Ruth,
What a busy day. Hope all went well with your appointment. Love the story of the hen and the "chick"!
The volunteering sounded good fun.
Sara from farmingfriends

CG said...

What a lovely post...I enjoyed reading all about it. Hope you enjoyed the cake!

Libbys Blog said...

Lovely to see you out and about, Love the snail collage, great idea.

Unknown said...

Oh flump - I left a long comment on here after the 4th post and it has gone - weird.

RUTH said...

Hi Lottie; I do hope it doesn't mean blogger is playing up again...I have enough problems with my pc in general. I've looked in my mailbox to which I get comments sent and can find one from you on my Down by the riverside post and also on My Million Stories blog but nothing other than your "flump" comment has registered on this post. Such a shame as I was thinking of your chickens when I posted about the Bantam. Let's hope that your comment not showing is just a one off.

SKY ALBUM -

EVERY SUNRISE AND SUNSET WE SHARED WAS PRECIOUS

A TOUR OF OUR GARDEN 2006

MEET THE FAMILY

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called family. Make your own badge here.
Thanks Akelamula

DENISE'S WISH FOR US ALL

A 1st Birthday Gift to my Blogpals

Thank you from Ruth

FLOWER ALBUM-

Thanks to Akelamula

creative blogger

Thanks Shaz

Thanks Skittles...worn with pride

created by Denise - given with love

AWARDS!

Rockin' Shaz sxhmoozed me From Mags, Gill, Libby,Denise and Meeyauw