Sunday 22 July 2007

BRAVING THE NETTLES

It seemed such a long morning waiting to go and meet Leanne & co from the station; instead of pacing up and down the living room I thought I may as well pace up and down the riverside!

Now I know these next couple of photos aren't the greatest but I was so thrilled to see a Heron that I had to get as close as I could to take a photo. This meant wading through knee high stinging nettles in "crop trousers"!!! I could feel the nettles stinging me but I wasn't going to miss this chance....the first Heron I've seen for years. Even when I'd ventured as far as I could I still had to zoom in until my camera had all red lights flashing.....was I bovvered!...No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I won't show you a photo of my nettle stung legs....just a bit red and I've slapped on loads of antihistamine cream...................
Leanne & co arrived bang on time...............................


and with a Sunday Roast under our belts we're having a nice family slob out night.

10 comments:

Libbys Blog said...

At least he's where he should be and not emptying my pond!!! Take care of your legs!! xx

Anonymous said...

O wow a little branch line station! There aren't many of them left like that. The evil dr beeching tore them all down didn't he after the war? Or something..?? We have lots of empty pathways with periodic platforms along that would look something like that... of only there were rails still along!!

Nicole took pixx of a heron in Amsterdam ... aparently they're far tamer out there. It just seemed to be waddling/whatever they do (well they've got too much of long legs to truly "waddle", I suppose ...) along the streets of that fair city ...

dot said...

I love the train picture! Ouch on those nettles!

crpitt said...

Your a slave to your photography! unless you like self flagellation?

I have had a good slob today :)

Digital Flower Pictures said...

That is a funny story about getting the picture. I have definitely been there before. I find bird photography the most frustrating of all aspects of photography. I have come to the conclusion that you have to have a very good lens.

Anonymous said...

Nettles! Ick.
I think the photos are quite nice.
We live by a lake and the Great Blue Herons nest in our trees. They take a long time to fledge and the babies are incredibly loud. I have many Heron stories.

A wildlife gardener said...

Fantastic photos of the heron, Ruth! You are a clever girl :)We have a heronry in the wood behind us, but I've never managed to take photos of them when they are flying over the house...and when one comes to gorge himself on the frogs, toads and newts from the ponds, I'm ususally out there flpaaing my arms like a daftie trying to get him to leave some for me to admire! I do love them though...

Shaz said...

Pleased you have the family around you & I can imagine that Sunday Roast was delish, no wonder they are all slobbing on the sofa x x x

Akelamalu said...

Get some Aloe Vera on them legs gal!
Love the heron pictures.

What'd you have for Sunday Lunch? We had Roast Lamb.

Chrissie said...

Hmmm, not fond of herons as they have emptied our pond :-( but I suppose everything has its place :-) Love the little branch line, we have one here and it is really important to keep them open!

SKY ALBUM -

EVERY SUNRISE AND SUNSET WE SHARED WAS PRECIOUS

A TOUR OF OUR GARDEN 2006

MEET THE FAMILY

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called family. Make your own badge here.
Thanks Akelamula

DENISE'S WISH FOR US ALL

A 1st Birthday Gift to my Blogpals

Thank you from Ruth

FLOWER ALBUM-

Thanks to Akelamula

creative blogger

Thanks Shaz

Thanks Skittles...worn with pride

created by Denise - given with love

AWARDS!

Rockin' Shaz sxhmoozed me From Mags, Gill, Libby,Denise and Meeyauw