Wednesday 8 August 2007

ABC WEDNESDAY - C

C IS FOR CANDLE

Prior to the mid 19th century, the candle was made from tallow (a byproduct of beef-fat rendering); though the Egyptians and Cretans made the candle from beeswax, as early as 3000 The fuel now is nearly always some form of wax, with paraffin wax being the most common. Candles made from gel, soy, beeswax, and vegetable products are also available.
A candle manufacturer is usually known as a chandler. Various devices have been invented to secure candles into place, from simple tabletop candle holders, to elaborate chandeliers.


With the fairly consistent and measurable burning of a candle, a common use was to tell the time. The candle designed for this purpose might have time measurements, usually in hours, marked along the wax. Candles are used in the religious ceremonies of many different faiths and no Birthday Cake is complete without a few candles to blow out..


C IS ALSO FOR


GENERAL CANCER RIBBON




CLATTERBRIDGE CANCER RESEARCH TRUST


CHARITY - SEE THE JUST GIVING LINK IN MY SIDE BAR





If you'd like to join in with ABC Wednesday click on the logo above and let MrsNesbitt know.

13 comments:

Ali said...

I love candles, the flickering flame is mesmorising, and the history was interesting, thx.

Shaz said...

very interesting Ruth, I love Chocolate & vanilla scented candles x x

Mike said...

I never light my candles for fear of spoiling them (with the exception of tealights).

dot said...

Very nice post Ruth.
I usually forget to light my candles!

Digital Flower Pictures said...

I like your collage of candles but it is a little too early for the Christmas one.

Akelamalu said...

Thanks for the info Ruth - I love candles but I'm a bit like Mike I don't like spoiling candles by lighting them.

Akelamalu said...

Thanks for the info Ruth - I love candles but I'm a bit like Mike I don't like spoiling candles by lighting them.

Julia Phillips Smith said...

I was immediately attracted to the Santa candle, as I am a Christmas maniac. But the bottom right close-up of the flame is my favorite picture.

Anonymous said...

Love the candle and also how you took time out for the chairty. Very nice. :)

Chrissie said...

Great post, Ruth :-) I have candles in the house and night lights in lanterns in the garden. Sitting in the evening with candles burning, soooo relaxing :-)

Audrey said...

This was really interesting, I used to live nearby Colony Candle factory and just loooooooooved sale time when I could get them for next to nothing.

Annie said...

Hi Ruth, you are like a glowing candle in the blogger's world - a light that shines and guides us all toward happiness.

RUTH said...

I must admit the only candles I light are the tealight ones...the others I have are all too pretty. Hence the reason why the Christmas one is still intact :o)
Annie; what a beautiful comment...thank you
Rx

SKY ALBUM -

EVERY SUNRISE AND SUNSET WE SHARED WAS PRECIOUS

A TOUR OF OUR GARDEN 2006

MEET THE FAMILY

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called family. Make your own badge here.
Thanks Akelamula

DENISE'S WISH FOR US ALL

A 1st Birthday Gift to my Blogpals

Thank you from Ruth

FLOWER ALBUM-

Thanks to Akelamula

creative blogger

Thanks Shaz

Thanks Skittles...worn with pride

created by Denise - given with love

AWARDS!

Rockin' Shaz sxhmoozed me From Mags, Gill, Libby,Denise and Meeyauw