Thursday 16 August 2007

RESULTS

Today many students in the Uk will get their results of their A level examinations. For many opening that little brown envelope will bring joy of success and the beginning of a bright future. For others the depths of despair when they don't reach the grades they needed and feel the word "Failure" hanging over their heads. Unlike many of my age I DON'T think exams are getting easier.....and even if they were it wouldn't detract from the effort and pressures our young people have gone though; especially with the constantly changing education systems and values we've had over the past few years. It may have been a long time ago but I took A levels myself....I was lucky...my efforts paid off and I passed but some of my close friends didn't and I felt their pain. For those who didn't quite make it this time I'd like to share this poem (author unknown) that I read on the Internet a few weeks ago.
Failure doesn't mean - "You accomplished nothing," It means - You have learned something.
Failure doesn't mean - "You have been a fool," It means - You had a lot of faith.
Failure doesn't mean - "You don't have it," It means - You were willing to try.
Failure doesn't mean - "You are inferior," It means - You are not perfect.
Failure doesn't mean - "You've wasted your life," It means - You have a reason to start afresh.
Failure doesn't mean - "You should give up," It means - "You must try harder.
Failure doesn't mean - "You'll never make it," It means - It will take a little longer.

5 comments:

Ali said...

Ruth, what a thoughtful post. I know that GCSE's and A'levels are the easiest way for employers and Universaties to assess the ability of our youngsters, but it is tragic to hear of some of the stories that result from the failure to achieve what was required for the next step in their life plans.

Annie said...

Is the U.S. moving toward testing like this? I think perhaps it is.

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

Hear, hear! Great poem! BTW I saw on the BBC news this week that in the UK more students have passed their A'level exams than ever before. :-)

Audrey said...

Great post Ruth, such a vital time for young students and thankfully at times the clearing system allows them to go on to study and with good advice open up options that may not have been considered.

Shaz said...

Excellent point made Ruth x

SKY ALBUM -

EVERY SUNRISE AND SUNSET WE SHARED WAS PRECIOUS

A TOUR OF OUR GARDEN 2006

MEET THE FAMILY

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called family. Make your own badge here.
Thanks Akelamula

DENISE'S WISH FOR US ALL

A 1st Birthday Gift to my Blogpals

Thank you from Ruth

FLOWER ALBUM-

Thanks to Akelamula

creative blogger

Thanks Shaz

Thanks Skittles...worn with pride

created by Denise - given with love

AWARDS!

Rockin' Shaz sxhmoozed me From Mags, Gill, Libby,Denise and Meeyauw