Sunday 5 August 2007

WORRYING NEWS

It's with great sadness that I listen to the news of an outbreak of Foot and Mouth disease in England. In the 2001 outbreak more than six million animals were slaughtered, many of them burned on huge bonfires. I pray that this will not reach these proportions again. It appears that it may be a localised problem; scientists say it is identical to the one being used in vaccines at a nearby Government funded animal research centre and hope to be able to contain the problem but it will still be a great worry to farmers all over the country. We have many herds of cattle that graze freely on our commonlands in Sudbury and I've taken many photographs of them; I fear for their future.

6 comments:

Akelamalu said...

Oh yes, I almost cried when I heard the news yesterday. Fingers crossed it won't be as bad as last time eh?

Jeanette said...

Hi Ruth. Yes I heard that on our news in Australia. I hope it is contained quickly and doesnt get bad like last time,,,(((HUGS)))

Anonymous said...

Hi Ruth, oven though our farm is in Yorkshire it is an anxious time for us. I hope that it is an isolated outbreak.
Sara from farmingfriends

Mauigirl said...

Oh, I hope it isn't like last time. I'll be thinking of all of you.

I wonder if the recent flooding has anything to do with the outbreak? Perhaps the germs thrive in the damp?

Shaz said...

Its so sad & worrying. The last outbreak strated up the road from us. Lets hope this one doesn't spread as quickly.

Claire said...

Save the Cows! i have just done a post on this now.

SKY ALBUM -

EVERY SUNRISE AND SUNSET WE SHARED WAS PRECIOUS

A TOUR OF OUR GARDEN 2006

MEET THE FAMILY

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called family. Make your own badge here.
Thanks Akelamula

DENISE'S WISH FOR US ALL

A 1st Birthday Gift to my Blogpals

Thank you from Ruth

FLOWER ALBUM-

Thanks to Akelamula

creative blogger

Thanks Shaz

Thanks Skittles...worn with pride

created by Denise - given with love

AWARDS!

Rockin' Shaz sxhmoozed me From Mags, Gill, Libby,Denise and Meeyauw