Friday, 3 August 2007


It's a two bus journey for me to get from Cornard to West Mersea....first stop to Colchester to meet Leanne & Co then on to Mersea. A 2 hour trip in all...yet the distance by car is 23.6 miles (38 km)......this is one of the problems of having to use public transport.

I was so excited when I had my first glimpse of the sea; the beach was EMPTY!!!!....and how we envied the owners of the houses whose gardens led down to the shore. None of us are keen on commercialised seafronts and this was perfect..........

Just to be on the safe side we nabbed our spot and laid out the towels then went to test the water..........and had a look at the local wildlife; seaweed, crab, jellyfish in water, jellyfish out of water.....and naturally I had to find some plants!.....and an anchor........I think this had been placed there rather than washed up...... the weather was lovely.....Leanne and Mel are more of the sunbathing and building sandcastles ilk......
unfortunately I don't have a swimming costume but Kirsty and I were drawn by the the waves crashed on the shore we heard them calling "Come In, come in".....
and of course we did. In fact we spent spent hours swimming and messing about in the water; we had great fun with a large rubber ring and float board that I bought at the shop in the town. There was a floating deck called Oyster Island quite a fair way out to sea and Kirsty and I made it our mission to get to was a hard swim as the current was against us; plus we took the ring and board with us which hampered us slightly...the third photo of this set is me in a rather unladylike pose trying to get up on the island!
as the day wore on a few holiday makers came to their beach huts but the place never felt crowded at all........... all too soon it was time to catch the bus home.........I had to get back to Colchester as the time of the last bus to Sudbury is 6.15................(I could have stayed at Leanne's but I still haven't managed to stay away from home overnight yet).....................there was time for one last paddle ...the last photo is of Kirsty hiding under a blanket trying to change her peeking!!!! Luckily all the buses were on time and so I didn't miss my connection....and arrived home really tired........but it was worth it. A FABULOUS DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and more fun to look forward to the next day with Manda & co.


Elsie said...

What a lovely, relaxed day you all had! Glad you enjoyed it.


mrsnesbitt said...

I too have been on the beach today with Wilma............she is tired! I am knackered! LOL off to bed now.


Shinade said...

Oh my I found your site through..mrsnesbitt and I must say that i am thrilled...what great pictures. Now all I have to do is figure out how to join your neighborhood....I always have this problem when I follow a link...because I can never find the blog listed anywhere that I search....I am blog challenged:) Thanks for the lovely photos and also the words Day Tripper...hadn't thought of that song in a long while. ~Jackie

meeyauw said...

That is GREAT! I thought the water looked cold at first but you guys spent a lot of time in it. The crab photo was great (the flowers were, too, of course).

BTW: I still have trouble staying away from home overnight. I don't know if that will ever go away with me. I don't care, either.

Mauigirl said...

What a lovely day you had! So glad for you.

jmb said...

What a wonderful day you all had and worth every moment on the bus I'm sure.
Beach huts, such a British institution. I went to see a play recently called Sandcastles which was set in front of a couple of beach huts. It was hilarious.

Auntie Noo said...

Fantastic Day! - I'm so glad the weather was kind and it looks like you had so much FUN!!!!!

Chris said...

I am so glad you had a good day, Ruth :-) Quite a bus journey, like West Somerset I expect they stopped at lots of little villages :-) There is something about feeling the sand between your toes though :-). Have a great weekend.

Shaz said...

Looks like heaps of fun to me. No wonder you were tired & to do it again the next day I take my hat off to you. What a fun Grandma x x x Can't wait for your next adventure

Akelamalu said...

Great photos Ruth and it looks like you had a really fun day out - no wonder you were tired when you got home! :)

Claire said...

I had so much fun reading this and looking at these pictures.

How did you do the four pictures together thing?

RUTH said...

I use Picasa, Claire, for all my photos and it has a collage option.




This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called family. Make your own badge here.
Thanks Akelamula


A 1st Birthday Gift to my Blogpals

Thank you from Ruth

Thanks to Akelamula

creative blogger

Thanks Shaz

Thanks Skittles...worn with pride

created by Denise - given with love


Rockin' Shaz sxhmoozed me From Mags, Gill, Libby,Denise and Meeyauw