Tuesday 21 August 2007

CATCHING UP WITH THE GARDEN AND BLOGPALS

Time for a garden catch up today.........the weather's been pretty awful and the garden looks a sodden snail heaven with few opportunites for taking photos without a waterproof camera!

The Schizostylis coccinea Major has now come into flower...(it does have a common name which is not very politically correct)......one of the reasons I love this plant is because it's a late bloomer and gives me something to look forward to ..............
Fuchsias don't seem to mind at all that the weather is gloomy and wet......my Fuchsia Thalia is loving it!

The Rincinus flowers are so unusual I just had to post another photo of one,,,,,,,,
The Pieris are really brightening up the garden and seem to be putting on a fresh batch of growth...............
Normally the Clematis Purpurea "Plena Elegans" would have flowered long before this but I moved it in the Spring and it's taken a while to settle down in it's new home.....
Both the white and pink Cyclamen are in flower now......both earlier than usual..
Another pot of lilies has started to flower now......there's been a lily of some kind in bloom for many months now................
The Cannas are really making up for lost time......unfortunately my neighbours Russian Vine is trying to strangle it. I'm going to have to rethink the bed along this fence next year to make it easier for me to get to the Russian Vine and keep cutting it back without stomping all over my own plants.
Despite the lack of sun the Rudbekia are bringing their own sunshine into the garden and always raise a smile.................

I also had to smile (and laugh) when I recieved an email from Elsie.....she sent me this brilliant joke....being a Grandma to teenage girls I can really relate to it......


A doctor that had been seeing an 80-year-old woman for most of her life finally retired. At her next checkup, the new doctor told her to bring a list of all the medicines that had been prescribed for her. As the young doctor was looking through these, his eyes grew wide as he realized she had a prescription for birth control pills. "Mrs Smith, do you realize these are BIRTH CONTROL pills?" "Yes, they help me sleep at night." "Mrs. Smith, I assure you there is absolutely NOTHING in these that could possibly help you sleep!" She reached out and patted the young Doctor's knee. "Yes, dear, I know that. But every morning, I grind one up and mix it in the glass of orange juice that my 16 year old granddaughter drinks... And believe me, it helps me sleep at night."

During my Blogarounds I saw this post on David's blog..................


"Here's some weekend fun for us to share. Every weekend, starting today, I'm going to ask you one simple question. Answer the question on your own blog, any time until Friday. Please link to this blog (or to this post) just so I can follow the progress of the notion. And the question is:What would you like to say to the girlfriend or boyfriend who first dumped you?"


and thought I'd play along....after racking my brains for hours trying to remember a boyfriend who'd dumped me...................I mean surely I DUMPED THEM!!!!!

Seriously though....yes I have been dumped...in fact my first husband dumped me for a younger model! I was distraught at the time but now I'm so grateful...if he hadn't I may never had met Mick! So to T. I would just say a heartfelt


"THANKS! To think I almost wasted the best years of my life on you!"


I remember, when I was about 15, my boyfriend E.; he was football crazy and I spent weeks knitting him a scarf in black and yellow for him to wear at away matches for his team (Chelsea)......the day before I intended to ceremoniously present it to him he DUMPED me.....I'd like to report that I said something brilliantly scathing or witty...but what did I say was ....


"But you can't I've knitted you a scarf!"


how pathetic!


I hope that if I met him again I'd say something more meaningful like......


"Hello, I'm sure we've met before. Didn't we go on a date once or twice? It must have been once. I never make the same mistake twice."


and old 'un but a good 'un.......LOL


If you'd like to join in with this pop over to David's blog and let him know.


I must mention another blogpal today as it's the Birthday of Jeanette; it's been a difficult time for her recently yet she's still had me hooting with laughter at all the fabulous jokes on her blog.

23 comments:

Ali said...

What a lovely set of photos, my favourite is the lillies, in fact (and don't tell anyone) I just produced my 'L is for...' with Lily's from a bouquet I received last week.

Love the cannas too. x

RUTH said...

Don't worry Ali; I won't tell a soul ;O)

david mcmahon said...

Hi Ruth,

Your garden looks wonderful - I've never seen fuchsias like that. What's the exact variety called?

And the lilies - wow! I have a lily shot that I'll post soon.

In the next 24 hours, I'll post a daffodil shot, but I think you might be able to help with the query about the ``white spikes''.

Thanks for being such a sport with the ``dump and dumper'' post. That boyfriend was certainly a ``knitwit''!

Keep smiling

David

mrsnesbitt said...

Sighs at David's joke! What a pearler David...no I will not rib you anymore! LOL!

Great to see yet another of us is concentrating on one blog! So much more manageable....I am just off to update mine!

Dxx

dot said...

Your flowers are always so pretty! I enjoyed the joke and hearing about the boyfriends.

RUTH said...

Hi David; the fuchsia is Fuchsia Triphylla 'Thalia'. Wish I could think up a witty retort to your comment but my brain's a bit woolly at the moment :o)

RUTH said...

MrsN; sighs at your jokes! Actually I'll just be concentrating on 3 blogs but this and photo a day will be the daily posts. :o)

RUTH said...

Dot; so glad you like the flowers and enjoyed the post :o)

Barb said...

Your garden is so beautiful!

Laughing at the rest of the post!

Katya said...

Oh what beautiful flowers!!!! I love seeing your pictures, and in all honesty, I do believe they make up for that guilty feeling of not having more plantings in MY garden!!! I can see YOURS and feel better! My black-eyed Susans are thring quite well, though! I wanted to break them up a bit, but came to the sudden realization, I have NO idea WHERE I could put them!
Yesterday, as we were driving along through many wooded areas, we noticed that there was some "color" here and there. Hard to believe this year is passing by so QUICKLY!

RUTH said...

skittles; glad you enjoyed the post :o)
Katya; I've noticed too that many leaves are starting to turn towards their autumnal shades.
Rx

Jeanette said...

Hi Dear Ruth, thank you for your warm wishes on my birthday 68 and the link to me ..
oh i love all your plants but my favotite is the Fuchsia. sending warm hugs ,,,

Akelamalu said...

Fabulous photos Ruth I love the Rudbekia.

I chuckled at the joke.

What a great idea of David's, I'll pop over now and have a go.

Libbys Blog said...

Its been an odd year garden wise!!! Not as it should have been!!
Love the joke!! lol!!

RUTH said...

Akela; I'll look forward to reading your post :o)

Libby; I wonder how this year's weather will affect the plants next year. Glad you liked the joke :o)

Unknown said...

Beautiful pics, but i'm not politically correct, so what's the plant called?

RUTH said...

Jeanette; would have never thought you were 68! You look and sound much younger....I would have said 21!
John G; I've emailed you :o)

Gledwood said...

I like the rincinus(??) and the yellow daisies thing?

re the spherical hamster i HOPE she is having babies... maybe she just got fed lots of chocolate by partisan petstore owner..??

really i cannot think of any other option bar pregnant...

Gledwood said...

I like the rincinus(??) and the yellow daisies thing?

re the spherical hamster i HOPE she is having babies... maybe she just got fed lots of chocolate by partisan petstore owner..??

really i cannot think of any other option bar pregnant...

masgblog said...

Your fuschia is doing much much better than the one that we have. Now, we have also had a bit of a cold spell here...not quite frost bite...but probably too cold for the poor plant.

RUTH said...

Gleds if she is pregnat you may be able to go into business by selling them :o)

Mags; I've quite a few Fuchsias but this one is REALLY tender and would get whisked indoors just at the mention of frost.

Rx

Reginas Cottage said...

Oh what a lovely flowers in your garden !!My favourite is clematis
purpurea plena elegans and fuchsias.
Sorry,but my english is not perfect.
Have a nice day Regina

RUTH said...

Regina; Vielen Dank fuer deinen Besuch auf meinem Blog :o)

SKY ALBUM -

EVERY SUNRISE AND SUNSET WE SHARED WAS PRECIOUS

A TOUR OF OUR GARDEN 2006

MEET THE FAMILY

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called family. Make your own badge here.
Thanks Akelamula

DENISE'S WISH FOR US ALL

A 1st Birthday Gift to my Blogpals

Thank you from Ruth

FLOWER ALBUM-

Thanks to Akelamula

creative blogger

Thanks Shaz

Thanks Skittles...worn with pride

created by Denise - given with love

AWARDS!

Rockin' Shaz sxhmoozed me From Mags, Gill, Libby,Denise and Meeyauw